Saturday, February 19, 2011

Speedy Rewards Review

I always up for trying a loyalty program or rewards program. A lot of people hate giving out their email for anything. Not me! If something free might be involved, I'm always willing to sign up! Do you know how easy it is to unsubscribe to emails these days? Really really easy. So the first program on the review list is Speedway Speedy Rewards. Appropriate since gas prices make me want to poke my eyes out right now. Also appropriate becasue I have 29,085 points! That's enough for a $25 gas card!

Here are the basics:
*20 points per dollar spent on merchandise like sodas, candy bars and other junk you find in gas stations.
*10 points per gallon of gas that you're spending at least $3 a gallon on.
*Buy 6 drinks, get the 7th free no matter what the drink is. Slushies, sodas, coffies...all count towards a freebee.
*Buy a $25 store gift card, get 500 points.
*Buy a $50 store gift card, get 1000 points.
*Other bonus points denoted by gold stars on products around the store.

Loyalty is key here. Earning enough points for anything nice takes patience of a saint and loyalty to Speedway. Speedway may or may not have the cheapest gas prices, but this is a-ok for me, because A) Speedway is the closest gas station to my house and it’s between my house and my office and B) my tank is 13 gallons, so if there gas is 8 cents per gallon cheaper at another station, it saves me only $1. I start each month buying a $50 gas card and see how far I can stretch it. When I wasn’t driving to the office I could nearly get buy on $70 a month. Now that I’m driving to school and gas costs over $3 a gallon, it’s going to take closer to $85 a month or more. Sad. Sad. Sad.

What are the best deals for your points? The best deals for your points (in my opinion) are gift cards to Speedway. It might not seem like much, but $25 is a decent chunk of money that I could happily spend on something other than gas! Other decent deals include iTunes gift cards, and a few restaurant gift cards.

By my calculations (which are based bundle.com's data saying Indiana folks spend about $100/month on gas) I figure the following:

It will take less than 5 months to earn a $10 gas card.
It will take about a year to get a $25 gas card.
It will take about 2 years to get a $50 gas card.

Should you sign up for emails? Yes! As an email member, you get very few emails from Speedway. You’ll get a monthly points statement which of course you can just check online or on your receipt. The real reason to sign up for emails is that it seems like once a quarter, they have a 7000 point bonus if you make 10 purchases on different days during a certain month. Making purchases with a gift card counts. I don’t mind drinking $1 gas station coffee every once and a while, so I tend to use this deal as an excuse to get coffee a little more often. You could totally just get 1 gallon of gas on 10 different days, but my 10 Transactions might look something like this…

Purchase 1 $50 gift card 1000 points
Purchase 2 Gas fill up ($40…stab me) 130 points
Purchase 3-9 Coffee (@ $1.06) 120 points plus a free drink
Purchase 10 $25 gas card 500 points
Total spent not on gas: $10ish Total Points: 8250

Are there any downsides? If you pay at the pump, you have to either have the credit card sized loyalty card to swipe or you can enter the bar code number on the key chain card. I lost my big card and sometimes I get annoyed punching in all the little numbers. Not all that big a deal though. Overall, I think this program is worth it for me. I'm willing to be loyal to the most convenient gas station for me in order to get the associated rewards.

What gas station is your favorite? Are you loyal to one or do you just get gas at the gas station closest to your car when it hits the Big E?

13 comments:

  1. I've been a slave to speedway for years trying to accumulate points. After I get enough points to redeem for a $10 card I'll use to pay for gas, I'll never go out of my way to go to another Speedway. The rewards may be ok for those who buy all their junk food their, and get sucked into buying more to get more points, but for those of us who just use it for gas, it's a waste of time and money. I figure I've spent around $3200 on gas at speedway for reward points. All to get me $10 worth of free gas? That's a joke, my diehard loyalty is a joke, I'm a fool. If you buy and eat their junk food/soda, you might be getting a better deal, but those items have the highest markup anyway, and you're just getting fat and sending yourself to an early grave just to play their speedy rewards points game. What Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you buy the gift cards then you rack up points faster. They had a great deal on black friday...1000 points for 25$! If you are buying gas anyway, why not!

      Delete
  2. Wow according to this article, Speedway is a joke for Gas rewards,

    "Purchase 2, Gas fill up ($40…stab me) 130 points
    Purchase 3, 9 Coffee (@ $1.06) 120 points plus a free drink"

    $40 in Gas = 130pts and $10 in coffee = 120 pts

    I suggest if you live near there to not even bother to buy gas there and just go for a coffee a day until you have enough rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here, I got this stupid "Rewards" card because they promised that spending $500 the following 3 statements I will get a good amount in cash "reward", LIARS!!! I already spent almost a $1000 there in 2 months and what I get, $10 gift card . THIS IS A JOKE, but why I'm not laughing? I'm going to start reusing my credit cards from the bank I've got my savings, they get me a better deal with the cash back. Thanks Speedyway, THANKS FOR NOTHING

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you are a delivery driver, you drive a company vehicle for over 50k miles a year, and your company gas card works at speedway, why not use the speedy rewards program?

    When you are on call and forget your wallet at home when you rushed out at 2am, and your two hours from home. Its nice having the app on your phone to stop by and get free food or drinks! Especially when those points came from fueling up the company vehicle, which costs me $0.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I am driving for Uber I am down to using this Speedway program! I spend about $120-200 a week on gas. I'm not too interested in the drinks/snacks but I will let my points accumulate for a gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that I am driving for Uber I am down to using this Speedway program! I spend about $120-200 a week on gas. I'm not too interested in the drinks/snacks but I will let my points accumulate for a gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have
    147,409 POINTS and keep raking them up. My boyfriend fills up about 25 gallons a time 2-3 times a week. He drives a ton. I get coffee, Monster and Red bull. 1000 pts. if you buy 3 cooler items at once. I changed my reward to getting 1000 pts.everytime my coffee reward comes out. I also upload a ATT&T go phone card once a month 1000 pts. I set up these for Christmas and spend them on gift cards for people. Lansing, Mi has tons of speedways. If I'm super broke I can even get a free sub or pizza if I need to. I don't even own a car for gas but I'd say it's super easy to stack up points.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Currently have 1.2 Million points at speedway from loyal purchases for the last two years. I spent 500,000 this passed year or I’d be closing in on 2 Million. Take advantage of Black Friday deals and buy gift cards to pay for gas. It’s a good rewards program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Side hustle

    ReplyDelete